This training has been designed for individuals new to the role of a trustee or considering becoming a trustee. The training is interactive and will provide all the required introduction to the ‘role of trusteeship’.
By the end of the training you will have acquired all the necessarily tools to carry out the role of a trustee. Emphasis is placed on ensuring delegates in attendance perform their responsibilities with confidence and consistency.
We incorporate a mix of delivery methods to ensure that all delegates are engaged throughout and achieve the agreed learning objectives.
Aim – The aim of this session is to enable delegates to understand the role of a trustee and also how to perform their duty to the highest standard.
All delegates will be able to:
- Understand a Trustee role description
- Understand the Charity Commission Trustee duties and recognise what the law expects of trustees when taking decisions
- Understand Trustee accountability
- Understand Trustee links to governance and relevant governance models
- Identify key principles relating to Trustee liability
- Understand /Assess documents – What a Trustee should expect from a CEO report
- Understand /Assess rules for board papers you should be aware of
- Plan a board agenda and board work
- Know how to build relationships with the Chief Exec and Chair
- Understand how to hold the CEO to account
- Supporting and challenging the organisation
Most delegates will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between governance and management
- Evaluate/Understand Julia Unwin’s 5s for High Performance Boards
- Identify what is meant by a conflict of interest
Some delegates should be able to :
- Understand the protocol and mechanics of decision making, including exercising discretion
- Implement key principles of trustee delegation, both in relation to their own trustee decisions (e.g. delegation to committees) and when delegating to external professional advisers