The world’s leading independent conservation organisation, WWF, would love to meet an exceptional and inspirational Executive Director of Operations & Strategy with strong commercial awareness, experience in driving a high performing organisation, clear leadership and a passion for results. When it comes to fighting for our world, mediocre just won’t do.
We’re really excited about our strategy and you’ll be instrumental in ensuring we have an appropriate governance model, operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and systems to ensure financial strength, and operational efficiency in order to deliver. You’ll be responsible for financial stewardship for the Strategic Planning & Performance, Technology and Legal departments.
CONTEXT OF ROLE
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Executive Director, Operations & Strategy will direct and lead the day-to-day operations of WWF-UK, facilitating and sharing responsibility, (with the Executive Group) for the operational and strategic management and leadership of the organisation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Support the planning, implementation and delivery of the organisation’s bold strategy;
- Leadership and management of the Operations Function, ensuring that our systems, processes and ways of working support the effective delivery of the organisation’s strategy;
- Oversight of the operational and commercial governance processes;
- Work closely with Executive Director of Supporter Income and Engagement to support the delivery of the WWF income generation strategy for growth;
- Ensure the organisation has an effective financial model; accurate and timely management information to enable effective decision making; and that key stakeholders are held to account for the delivery of financial targets and other performance measures;
- Effective oversight of the organisation’s risk and assurance framework, ensuring that key risks have been addressed, business continuity plans are in place and regulatory requirements are satisfied;
- Ensure effective governance processes, facilitating and maintaining good working relationships with Trustee and Board/Committee members, with the right levels of oversight;
- Being an effective Network citizen including participation in the ‘Operations’ Network Group to support the Network Executive Team and ensure WWF-UK interests are represented and met.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the post.
At WWF-UK we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We, therefore, welcome applications from all sections of the community and we offer a range of benefits to encourage a work-life balance.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrable strategic and inspirational leadership; preferably gained across a variety of industries, with a proven background in leading organisational change, and the support of the people through significant periods of change;
- Strong people management skills with experience of developing a high-performing organisation through effective planning, processes, systems, decision making, innovation and change management;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present technical information in a concise and accessible way to manager, trustees and others;
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within a fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE
- A successful track record in a senior leadership/management role which has included some of the following areas: strategic planning and performance, financial and accounting services, technology, legal services and internal audit;
- An understanding, and ideally experience, of UK charity law and governance responsibilities;
- An understanding of the activities of WWF, with an interest in conservation issues and the global environment agenda;
- A high degree of commercial awareness and business acumen, with strong resource, financial, project and process management skills. [CIMA/CCAB, MBA or equivalent would be desirable, but not essential].