Finance Director (FD) Tarmac
CRH plc: 2006 to date
- Finance Director (FD) Tarmac: October 2017 to date
- Head of Group Financial Evaluation & Advisory Services: 2013 to September 2017
- Group Reporting, Accounting & Evaluation Manager: 2010 to 2013
- Group Compliance & Technical Manager: 2006 to 2010 (led team from 2009)
CRH is a leading global diversified building materials group, employing c90,000 people at c3,700 operating locations in 32 countries with 2018 turnover of €27bn and shares listed in Dublin, London & New York.
Kerry Group plc: 2000 to 2006
- Financial Controller (Acquisition Integration Freshways): 2004 to 2006
- Investor Relations Department: Senior Financial Analyst: 2002 to 2004
- Group Financial Reporting Manager: 2000 to 2002
Kerry Group is a global leader in taste and nutrition and a leading supplier of added value brands/customer branded foods with 2018 revenues of c€7bn, 25,000 people and customers in c140 countries. Its shares are listed in Dublin & London.
Deloitte: 1995 to 2000
- Audit Senior Dublin & Chicago offices: 1995 to 2000
I am currently employed as the FD for Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction materials business and one of CRH plc’s largest operating subsidiaries, employing c6,900 people with c400 strategically located sites. I lead a team of c.350 finance, legal, IT and tax personnel (including both a finance and an IT Shared Service Centre (SSC)) in enabling the Tarmac Plan by driving sustainable performance through valued insight, governance, expertise, and innovative solutions. The team is structured to mirror the business operating model and prides itself on a culture of continuous improvement in conjunction with its business partners and stakeholders.
Prior to moving to the UK in October 2017, I headed up CRH’s Financial Evaluation & Advisory Services team in its head office in Dublin which oversees the external financial reporting to support CRH’s Dublin, London & New York stock listings. The team acts as a Group centre of excellence for accounting and financial reporting, supporting the many finance and development teams throughout CRH with investment appraisal and evaluation, complex accounting issues and financial projects together with responsibility for the financial review of the acquisition, divestment and capital expenditure proposals prepared by the development and strategy teams.
I also spent six years with Kerry Group, in a variety of challenging and engaging roles and locations. My first job was with Deloitte’s audit and assurance team where I completed my training contract and spent four formative years including an overseas secondment to Chicago.
I am a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, a qualified member of the Institute of Tax and a member of Mensa since 1990.
- Design, development & ongoing implementation of a 3-year strategic plan for Tarmac Finance & IT centred around People, Performance & Process (13 working groups) in conjunction with the Finance Leadership Team & 80 team volunteers – includes embedding an end-to end talent development programme supported by our HR business partners
- Development & ongoing implementation of a 3-year technology plan in conjunction with the Tarmac IT team and the business including a progressive customer-facing digital offering & upgrade of existing ERP platforms
- Participated in a 2018 global Transformation Task Force on Inclusion and Diversity and am a member of CRH’s Global Inclusion & Diversity Council
- Have actively supported and acted as a mentor for internal/external mentoring programmes for upcoming finance professionals
- Strong reputation for building resilience, flexibility and agility within the teams I lead to develop and promote a CRH talent pipeline – previous team members have moved to Divisional offices, operational roles, roles in Development & Strategy etc.
- First female member of the Tarmac Executive team/Board of Directors
- Regular liaison and interaction at both CRH Board & Audit Committee level
- Winner of WXN 2016 HSBC Corporate Executive Award – Ireland’s Top 25 Most Powerful Women
- Selected for various management development, strategic management & business leadership programmes
- Tarmac team have piloted several key initiatives including robotic process automation, dynamic discounting, Tableau data visualisation, Blackline balance sheet reconciliations, ServiceNow workflow tools, etc.
- Tarmac SSC team have initiated/delivered several process excellence projects across various functions including cash collection, procure to pay and logistics
- Worked with a group of CRH senior leadership colleagues in 2018 to develop a series of global operational excellence recommendations
- Partnered with our CRHO in 2018 to lead a national business restructure and reorganisation
- Large scale company-wide first time SOX implementation – 2016
- Implementation of a Group-wide financial consolidation system
- Streamlined CRH’s financial reporting through the delivery of a combined Annual Report
- SSC implementation – transferred core business functions to a group SSC – associated headcount reductions
- Worked extensively on several aspects of CRH’s 2015 LH acquisition (€6.5bn EV), the largest acquisition in Irish corporate history, including financial due diligence, the compilation of a significant shareholder circular, the preparation of completion accounts and co-ordination of the financial integration & accounting process
- CRH team has won several external awards to recognise the quality of our external financial reporting including the “Overall Winner”at the Irish Stock Exchange published accounts awards
- Led the financial aspects of a group-wide CRH portfolio review carried out in 2013/2014
- Successful acquisition due diligence, completion and financial integration of 3 new businesses in 2018/2019
- Currently working with the FLT to enhance the quality of our company-wide financial management information including a national budgeting/forecasting system and updated KPI/financial metrics suite
I enjoy socialising, travelling, and am passionate about sport. I also enjoy running; and while taking part in a Remembrance Run I saw a sign that read: “Forget about all the reasons why it won’t work and believe in the one reason that it will” which is a message which has remained with me personally and professionally since and inspires me to bring a sense of continued positivity to my role.